Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Wolfhound and Other Books [Daily Photo #538]



My mom brought some of my old books yesterday, so of course I must show them to you! First, The Wolfhound series by Maria Semyonova. It's a Slavic fantasy story about a guy called Volkodav (Wolfhound), a quiet and compassionate man from a matriarchal society who didn't exactly intend to become a hero and save people but fate said otherwise. The books are very beautifully written, with a poem in the beginning of each chapter. One of the best parts of the series is a pet bat named Neletuchiy Mysh – in Russian a bat is called letuchaya mysh – 'a flying mouse' =D And this pet bat was injured and couldn't fly, so he was named Neletuchiy Mysh, 'a mouse that doesn't fly'. He travels perched on Volkodav's shoulder. =D There is also a scene where Volkodav rescues a puppy, and that's the kind of fantasy hero that I like! : 3 I really hope they'll translate these books to English one day!

I've read the first 5 novels in the series years ago (they were published in 1995-2003) and lately I often felt like re-reading them. There's also one more book that was released in 2014, I haven't read it yet. I didn't expect there to be any new books in the Wolfhound series, so that was a nice surprise. There is also a movie based on the first book. I know a lot of people liked that movie, but I felt it was way too different from the novel.

The new book!

And some more books:

Books about nature, because of course.
They have so many photos!


Two in one here: Robert Peary's The North Pole and Roald Amundsen's South Pole (Sydpolen in the original Norwegian). I haven't read them yet. I bought this book in a used bookstore long ago – actually, I bought 8 books for 200 rubles total that day! (About 5 euros then, or so). It was a very lucky day for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

How to leave a comment.
Как оставить комментарий.

Спасибо за ваши комментарии :)
Thank you for your comments =)
Kiitos kommenteistanne ;-)
コメントありがとうございます ^_^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...